Myopia Research Lab
The myopia research laboratory was established at the L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad in the year 2017. Research at the myopia lab involves both basic and applied aspects of myopia mainly investigating epidemiology, pathogenesis/causation of myopia/pathologic myopia to eventually develop a cost-effective anti-myopia strategy that can be used worldwide for myopia control. The multifactorial influence on myopia causation, the complex gene-environment interactions makes it difficult to draw concrete conclusions in myopia research through cross-sectional studies. The research in this lab focuses on investigating the temporal development of signs (both in the centre and periphery of the eye) to identify novel optical and imaging markers for myopia/high myopia/pathologic myopia via longitudinal and short-term defocus studies.
- The Indian Myopia Exploratory Study (TIMES)
- Role of environment, peripheral optics, peripheral retina/choroid/sclera in myopiogenesis
- Protective role of myopia on diabetic retinopathy
- Machine learning for refractive error prediction
- Professor PadmajaSankaridurg, Brien Holden Vision Institute, University of New South Whales, NSW, Australia
- Professor David Atchison, Queensland University of Technology, Australia
- Dr Anjali JaiPrakash, Centre of Excellence for Robotic Vision, Australia
- Dr Ranjay Chakraborty, Flinders University, Australia
- Verkicharla PK,Mathur A, Mallen EAH, Pope JM, and Atchison DA. 2012. “Eye shape and retinal shape, and their relation to peripheral refraction”. Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, 32(3): 184-199.
- Verkicharla PK, Mallen EAH, and Atchison DA. 2013. “Repeatability and comparison of peripheral eye lengths with two instruments”. Optometry and Vision Science, 90(3):215-222.
- Verkicharla PK, Suheimat M, Mallen EAH, and Atchison DA. 2014.“Technical note: Influence of eye rotation on the peripheral eye length measurements obtained using partial coherence interferometry”. Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, 34(1): 82-88.
- Suheimat M, Verkicharla PK, Mallen EAH, Rozema J and Atchison DA.2014. “Refractive indices used by the Haag-Streit Lenstar to calculate axial biometric dimensions”. Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, 35(1), 90-96
- Pope, JM, Sepehrband F, Suheimat M, Verkicharla PK, Kasthurirangan S, & Atchison DA. 2015. Lens Shape and Refractive Index Distribution in Type 1 Diabetes Lens Shape and Refractive Index in Type 1 Diabetes. Investigative ophthalmology & visual science, 56(8), 4759-4766.
- Verkicharla PK, Sepehrband F, Suheimat M, Mathur A, Schmid KL, Atchison DA. 2015. “Validation of a partial coherence interferometry method for estimating retinal shape”. Biomedical Optics Express,6(9), 3235-3247.
- Verkicharla PK, Ohno-Matsui K, Saw SM, 2015. “Current and predicted demographics of high myopia and an update of its associated pathological changes”. Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, 35(5), 465-475.
- Valencia Foo, Verkicharla PK, Ikram MK Chua SYL, Saw SM. 2016. “Axial Length/Corneal Radius of Curvature ratio and myopia in 3 year-old children”. Translational Vision Science & Technology 2016 Feb 9;5(1):5. 2016 eCollection.
- Verkicharla PK, Suheimat M, Schmid KL, Atchison DA. 2015. “Peripheral refraction, peripheral eye length and retinal shape in myopia”. Optometry and Vision Science, 2016;93(9):1072-1078.
- KuoAN, Verkicharla PK, McNabbRP, CheungCY, HilalS, FarsiuS, ChenC, WongTY, IkramMK, ChengCY, YoungTL, Saw SM, Izatt JA. 2016 “Posterior Eye Shape Measurement With Retinal OCT Compared to MRI”. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 1;57(9):196-203.
- Lucas J. Lister1, Verkicharla PK, Suheimat M, Mallen EAH, and Atchison DA. Influence of gravity on ocular lens position. 2016. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 1;57(4):1885-1891.
- Verkicharla PK, Chia EN, and Saw SM. 2016‘What public policies should be developed to cope with the myopia epidemic’. Optometry and Vision Science,93(9):1055-7.
- Atchison DA, Lister LL, Suheimat M, Verkicharla PK, Mallen EA. 2016 ”AuthorResponse: Gravity affects amplitude of accommodation.” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 1;57(11):4571.
- Atchison DA, Lister LJ, Suheimat M, Verkicharla PK, Mallen EA. 2016 ”AuthorResponse: Gravity affects lens position during accommodation”. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science,1;57(11):4568-9.
- Verkicharla PK, Suheimat M, Schmid KL, Atchison DA. 2017 “Retinal shape in different racial groups”, Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, 37(3):275-283.
- Verkicharla PK, Ramamurthy D,SuanPu, Xinquan, Saw SM 2016. “A wearable fitness tracker to increase outdoor time and prevent myopia in children”.2017. Translational Vision Science & Technology, 6(3):20. Ecollection.
- Pope, JM, Verkicharla PK, Sepehrband, F, Suheimat M & Atchison DA.2017.” Three-dimensional MRI study of the relationship between eye dimensions, retinal shape and myopia”.Biomedical Optics Express. 5;8(5):2386-2395.
- Sensaki S, Verkicharla PK, Sabanayagam C, Chia A, Saw SM. 2017. “An Ecologic Study of Trends in the Prevalence of Myopia in Chinese Adults in Singapore Born from the 1920s to 1980s.” Annals Academy of Medicine Singapore, 46(6):229-236.