Visual Optics Laboratory
Image courtesy: Fourier Optics Calculator developed by Prof Larry Thibos of the Indiana University School of Optometry
The Visual Optics Laboratory was established at the Hyderabad campus of the Brien Holden Institute of Optometry and Vision Sciences, L V Prasad Eye Institute in the year 2009 by Dr Shrikant Bharadwaj. The lab has three major themes of research:
- To understand the impact of distortions in the eye on the perception of form and depth vision.
- To understand how the visual system adapts to the presence of such optical distortions experienced over extended periods of time.
- To develop instrumentation and technology for non-invasive measurement of the refractive power of the eye.
The lab uses human disease and iatrogenesis models for studying these focal themes. Non-invasive measurements of wavefront aberrometery, psychophysics and computational reconstruction of image quality are performed on patients with corneal disease like keratoconus and cataract and surgical procedures like corneal transplants, refractive surgery to understand the distortions experienced in the eye and their perception of form and depth vision. The understanding gained from these measurements will eventually be translated into newer modalities of diagnosis and management of eye disorders in the clinic. The entire enterprise is driven through active collaboration with colleagues from clinical ophthalmology and optometry, delivery high-quality patient care at the Hyderabad campus of the LVPEI.
- Shrikant R Bharadwaj
- Praveen Kumar Bandela
- Vijay Reena Durai
- Asra Fatima
- Preetam Kumar
- Bhagyalakshmi Marella
- Rajesh Gannavarapu
Past Lab Members
- Swaathi Balaji
- Veerendranath Pesala
- Samrat Sarkar
- Nakka Geetha Sravan
- Vinay Kumar Nilagiri
Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India
Department of Bio-Technology, Govt. of India
Cognitive Science Research Initiative, Dept of Science and Technology, Govt. of India Abbott Medical Optics
- Dr Pravin Krishna
- Dr Jagadesh Reddy
- Dr Prashant Garg
- Dr PremNandhini Satgunam
- Dr L S Varadharajan
- 2. Sravani, G. & Bharadwaj, S. R. (2017). Focusing responses of the one eyed child. Optometry & Vision Science. 94(2):150-158.
- Ravikumar, S., Bradley, A., Bharadwaj, S.,&Thibos, L. N. (2016). Expanding binocular depth of focus by combining monovision with diffractive bifocal intraocular lenses. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. 42: 1288 - 1296.
- Bandela, P., Satgunam, P., Garg, P., & Bharadwaj, S. R. (2016). Corneal transplantation in disease affecting only one eye – does it make a difference to habitual binocular viewing? PLOS One. 11(3): e0150118.
- Sarkar, S., Vaddavalli, P. K., & Bharadwaj, S. R. (2016). Image quality analysis of the human visual system after LASER refractive surgery. PLOS One. 11(2): e0148085.
- Thite, N., Jaggernath, J., Chinanayi, F., Bharadwaj, S. R.,&Kunjeer, G. (2015). Pattern of optometry practice and range of services in India. Optometry & Vision Science. 92(5): 615 - 622.
- Sravani, G., Nilagiri, V. K., & Bharadwaj, S. R. (2015). Photorefraction estimates of refractive power varies with the ethnic origin of human eyes. Scientific Reports. 5(7976): 1 - 8.
- Veerendranath, P., Garg, P., & Bharadwaj, S. R. (2014). Binocular vision of bilaterally pseudophakic eyes with induced astigmatism. Optometry & Vision Science. 91(9): 1118 - 1128.
- Jagini, K. K., Vaidyanath, H., & Bharadwaj, S. R. (2014). Utility of theoretical Hirschberg ratio for gaze position calibration. Optometry & Vision Science. 91(7): 778 - 785.
- Veerendranath, P., Garg, P., & Bharadwaj, S. R. (2014). Image quality analysis of pseudophakic eyes with uncorrected astigmatism. Optometry & Vision Science. 91(4): 444 - 451.
- Bharadwaj, S. R., Malavita, M., & Jayaraj, J. (2014). A psychophysical technique for estimating the accuracy and precision of retinoscopy. Clinical and Experimental Optometry. 97(2): 164 – 170.
- Bharadwaj, S. R., Sravani, G., Little, J-A., Narasaiah, A., Wong, V., Woodburn, R., & Candy, T.R. (2013). Empirical variability in the calibration of slope-based eccentric photorefraction. Journal of Optical Society of America A. 30(5): 923 - 931.
- Singh. A., Veerendranath, P., Garg, P., & Bharadwaj, S. R. (2013). Relation between uncorrected astigmatism and visual acuity in pseudophakia. Optometry & Vision Science. 90(4):378 - 384.
- Sarkar, S., Ali, M.J., & Bharadwaj, S.R. (2012). Revisiting the impact of Phenylephrine Hydrochloride on static and dynamic accommodation. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology. 60(1): 503 - 509.